Monday, November 26, 2012

Is "Fifty Shades of Grey" Doing Women a Favor?

Now, I have only read the first two out of three in the series but so far, so interesting! Written by E L James, this series gives us a peek into the life of Anastasia Steele and what happens when she meets Christian Grey. It takes place in Seattle for the most part, which is refreshing for any story really. Although Twilight takes place in Washington state so I guess we could say there is a trend beginning to happen. 


Christian Grey is a filthy rich and handsome CEO with some major dirty secrets. Of course as predictable as a romance can be, Anastasia ends up filling in for her best friend who is sick and was supposed to interview Mr. Grey. So Anastasia goes in, spills her coffee and lets just say it is a done deal from there. 

It becomes a world of lavish gifts, fancy dinners, helicopter rides, and sex. A lot of sex. Like unreasonable amounts of it. 

So this is where my title to this post comes in. Come on really? This plot has got to be about the most unrealistic thing I've ever read. Sure, older rich men get with younger girls all the time. That is nothing new, but do they have to both be really good looking? Does he have to be half a crazy person? 

I think what is more unlikely for me is that despite all of the crazy that Christian has under his belt - the two of them are madly in love in the span of a couple weeks. 

I know, I know. It is just a couple of books. However, it has become a huge craze just like the Twilight and Hunger Games series have been. People love to become richly involved in these stories, and is it not possible that this trilogy is giving women a false hope? A hope that one day they will meet a rich man who will buy them a car and have insane sex with? Sure in theory that sounds great, but it isn't real life. At least not for the majority of us. 

If I went through the first book alone and counted how many times the two of them had sex, I'd probably come out with like 30. Remember, the first books is only a few weeks. Could you imagine? And that keeps up well-through the second book - it probably doubles. 

I think it is nice to get lost in a love story, but this is no ordinary love story. In the first book the characters begin to speak about not being able to live without each other. Their love, without giving too much away, is very desperate. That is the feeling I get anyways. They are frantically in love, they are more focused on how afraid they'd be to be without each other. It is probably the most unhealthy relationship you could envision minus any beatings...well, I guess I'll let you be the judge of that. 

Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed the books so far and I intend on reading the third one. I just think it brings up a topic worth discussing. Let me know what your thoughts are? Have you read the books? Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...