Sunday, January 6, 2013

Book Review: "The Summer of Skinny Dipping"

I've decided that for 2013 I am going to keep track of every book I read this year. My tastes in books can be pretty all over sometimes, it just depends on what I feel like reading at the time. It should be very interesting to watch.

The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells is my first official read of the year. I am not really into young adult novels anymore. I find it incredibly cliche most of time and very idyllic in the plot lines. However, I had this sitting around and I was intrigued.

sourcebooks
I loved this book and I read it in less than 24 hours. It might have just been the right timing but I really connected with the story and the main character. Essentially, the story is of a 16-year old named Mia who goes with her family to stay at her Aunt's and Uncle's summer house in the Hamptons. Her family life is anything than stellar and she doesn't feel as though she can ever win her mother's approval.

She is looking forward to reuniting with her beloved cousin, and yet she is in for a reality check. Her cousin and her friends are beach beauties with an admiration for smoking and drinking. Mia feels like a black sheep amongst everyone.

She eventually meets someone who changes her world and that story will stay with her forever.

It is such a strong story but I don't want to give too much away, but it does end up being a growing-up and love story. I think I identified with this book so much, because I know how it feels to be lonely even when you're surrounded by people. It is easy to feel like everyone is putting on a facade around you, and that you don't belong. I think everyone will be able to relate to the main character's plight whether it is in their past or what they feel now.

If you have a lazy afternoon to kill, I definitely recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...