Friday, January 11, 2013

Guess What I Did!

I went indoor rock climbing! 

I did it once before when I was in middle-school and we had this wall in the gym that was converted to a rock climbing wall. Other than that my experience was zilch. I was lucky enough to be going with someone who actually teaches climbing and he's so good in fact he was ice climbing just the weekend before! 

We went to a place in Fairfield called Carabiner's. It is the coolest place I have ever been. It is just huge open space with so many trails to climb. It is insane! You can get certified to belay with them, but I didn't need to do that. 

We started bouldering first, which is climbing on walls about 15 feet with no ropes. There are different levels to choose from and the floor is padded and there are mats to catch you if you fall. I really loved bouldering, it is seriously like a puzzle that you need to work through in order to make it to the top. I'm not a very strong or tall person so it was a little hard for me to reach the next holds sometimes but I did actually get to the top on a few routes! 

Picture from Carabiner's Facebook Page

The short walls in the middle of this picture are some of the bouldering walls. There is even a second room that has more bouldering and regular climbing as well. I did go up on a regular wall with a rope, but I only made it half way. I think at that point I was tired and I just couldn't reach the next holds! I learned a lot about climbing in general and it is a great sport to do if you want a work out, because two days later and I am still sore! 

I can't wait to go again, the atmosphere was just so laid back and it is such a rush when you climb because you have to think quickly and maneuver yourself. If you get the opportunity I definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...