Thursday, August 2, 2012

Book Review: The Great Bridge

I started The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge by David McCullough, probably two months ago. It is over 500 pages and with my schedule it took me a while to finish. I'm very glad I did though, it is a great book and the story is incredible.

I had always heard about David McCullough but never got the chance to read any of his work. What made me happiest about this book was finding out how much research Mr. McCullough really did. There is nothing better than knowing that the author of a book like that really did the work.

I recommend this to anyone who is a history or political buff. Or even if you are just interested in what went on behind the scenes, this is a great read for you. There were some things that totally blew my mind, for example, the two ends of the bridges near land are held by caissons (HUGE bottomless, hollow, blocks. One for each end) and the method for sinking them underground was astonishing.

It may be a little difficult to follow because a lot of the terminology may be foreign to someone who doesn't know engineering or bridges, but with a little concentration, you can understand 98% of it without looking anything up.

The best part of the book for me was how it told the story of the bridge and how it was built, it told the story of the family behind building it, and it gave the political aspect and how it influenced not only the bridge but New York City.

Amazing book!

(picture from bn.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...