I thought I'd touch on the ever popular iPhone announcement that happened yesterday. The iPhone 5 was announced and honestly, if you have been on the internet at all - then the whole thing should not have been a surprised. We've pretty much known how it was going to look for a while now.
I have to say, I am not impressed. It is an amped up version of the 4S, I think the largest thing going for it right now is that it will support 4G LTE. However, here are some of the new features:
- 4 inch screen compared to the 3.5 inch screen on the previous models
- thinner by 18%
- 8 megapixel camera on the back and a 1.2 megapixel front facing camera
- it is 20% lighter and it is taller than the older models but not wider
- the back camera now features panoramic picture taking
- newly designed earbuds
- smaller connector port, which means new smaller cord
- Siri has new features like looking up restaurants and movie times, purchasing tickets, making reservations through Opentable, and she can even social network for you
- screen is even more crisp
One other thing actually worth mentioning app wise is the new Passbook app which is essentially "Google wallet without the credit cards" as said by my favorite YouTuber Philip DeFranco. Essentially, you can keep all your gift cards, tickets, plane boarding passes, and discount cards on your phone instead of physically needing them.
There are however some warnings you should know about the new phone.
- They have come out with a new maps app because Apple and Google seem to be going at it. So you won't be getting maps and directions through Google, but through whatever system Apple sets up
- Because of the disagreements between Apple and Google, they are getting rid of the YouTube app, but never fear because YouTube has come out with their own app for iOS
- The new cord is USB 2.0 compatible not 3.0 which is what the new Macbooks are - womp womp
(don't worry Apple is estimated to still make 100 million dollars just off the cords alone in the next year - triple womp)
- Finally, any accessories and docks you have for the older iPhones are useless with the iPhone 5 - unless...you buy a $30 adapter for the phone
Personally, I'm more interested in the Google Nexus and that may very well become my next phone. While others are fangirling out of their minds over the new iPhone - it feels like there is something still to be desired. New fancy features are great but there are a number of inconveniences that come along with it and honestly, some of them are features that should have come a while ago.
It is worth noting that Apple announced the new line of iPod nanos and iTouch - I actually would love to get my hands on the iTouch. It looks incredible - maybe look for a post about that soon!