Sunday, September 9, 2012

Summer Book Review

If you know me then you know I am a total book worm. I'd rather stay home and read a good book than go out to a party. I am a proud little nerd :)

I did finish up a few books at the end of August and I wanted to share them with you! 



"Imagine" by Jonah Lehrer


There has been a ton of controversy with this writer over the last few weeks. It has come out that he was possibly committing plagiarism and fact checking errors. I won't say much about that only because I don't know enough but keep this in mind when you read this book. 

I say this because this book is about the "science of creativity". I really enjoyed this book actually, and I thought a lot of the research he spoke about was interesting and made sense. Of course, due to the scandal we cannot be sure about the facts but either way this is such an intriguing look into what makes us creative.

"The Chaperone" by Laura Moriarty

This is a great book for anyone who likes the plot to take place in early history. This is placed in the 1920s (my favorite time period) and is about a woman who is hired to be the chaperone for Louise Brooks who is going to the big apple to dance with a company. 

Now, Louise Brooks was a real person and became an actress, but this is a fictional story with the real person being used as a character. The story is heartbreaking, and so relatable because the main character has a parts of her life that try to brake her down and she is trying to find and accept the truths that hide in NYC so she can move on with her life back home in Kansas. 

It has a lot of twists but you will love every second of it I promise!

"Killing Lincoln" by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard

Yep, it is that Bill O'Reilly that you are thinking of. He as wrote a book about President Lincoln's assasination. This is hands down in my top 5 list of books. I could not put this book down, I just wanted to read it all night! President Lincoln is my favorite president so I'm drawn to anything about him. 

The duo wrote the book in the style of a fictional story but in fact only used fact and documents. It was brilliantly written and the use of facts to mold that story was perfect. I certainly recommend this book for any history lovers and anyone who is just interested in what went on in the time leading up to the assasination. 

Final note: he has just come out with Killing Kennedy whihc will probably be my number one favorite book ever because as much as I love Lincoln I love the Kennedy family just that much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...